Join us online for one of the largest, most comprehensive educational summits in the country. Don't miss conference news and details; register now.
July 13th – 15th, 2021
Dr. Bettina L. Love
Dena Simmons, Ed.D.
Dena Simmons, Ed.D., is an activist, educator, and student of life from the Bronx, New York. She is the founder of LiberatED, a liberatory approach to social and emotional learning, racial justice, and healing. She writes and speaks nationally about social justice and culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy as well as creating emotionally intelligent and safe classrooms within the context of equity and liberation. She is the author of the forthcoming book, White Rules for Black People (St. Martin’s Press).
2021 CONFERENCE THEME
Education Equity: The Role of Schools and Universities in Leveling the Playing Field
Last year, over 5,000 education professionals joined us online for one of the largest, most comprehensive educational conferences in the country. No other conference in the Midwest provides access to such highly sought-after experts influencing important advancements in education at no cost. The conference provides professional development opportunities to educators and administrators in K-12 and higher education that lead to equitable educational outcomes for students of color. This year, topics will include:
- the state of K-12 and higher education in the era of COVID-19;
- strategies to support equity in schools and the returned benefits;
- social and emotional learning with an emphasis on how to teach and learn in the context of stress and the pandemic;
- educational rights issues associated with grade retention, remedial class assignments, and standardized testing during COVID-19;
- how to combat chronic absenteeism;
- positive discipline during a pandemic;
- school safety and the necessary role of social workers and counselors versus police and security officers;
- best practices on how to navigate conversations with students about politics, race, and racism while facing pressures to remain nonpartisan;
- teacher education innovation and how to make learning interesting beyond the use of textbooks; and
- technology in the classroom
Participants will be provided links to livestream all sessions in advance. Full recordings of the sessions approved by the presenters will be made available on IBE’s website.
PGP points will be provided.